Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Interview with the Candidates, Part Five

Firstly, forgive me for having maintaned a self-imposed silence in the Blog, but as a senior, I have always believed that the juniors should best be left to do their proverbial thing. My itching fingers, ready to stir the murky waters of journalism, ensured, of course, that I am a man not of my word.

What's happening in college? The notice board has undergone so many transformations it sometimes daunts me, that there is SO much I can join in college and so much I have wilfully escaped. At the end of the day, the 3A offer still stands, and without that grade, my development as a better individual via tertiary education will stop at A-Level, so studies first.

Snoopy had other ideas about his education though...thus, this interview with Quek Chok Yew, who you will never hear being called by that moniker, fondly known as Snoopy

Enter chalet. Snoopy and unidentified chaletmate, wearing less clothes combined than I do, leap from their seats, startled.

Snoopy sets down guitar. Aghast. Asks me, querulous tone, why the hell I am here.

Interview has now officially begun. All "what the hells" and expletives uttered are now on record.

Queried on why he ACTUALLY wanted to run - he has often said he wanted to do it to prove himself, but that rings hollow considering the fact he IS athletically active, having played squash at state level - he muttered he wanted to serve the college. He maintained he was not just in the game for the game itself, but to contribute to the college as a member of the SC in other, non-sports ways. Good point, considering how much stuff unrelated to one's actual portfolio the SC members ACTUALLY do.

We continue pressing him on why he wants to do SC. Is he interested in the post? No, he claims, it is for the recognition. He lets us in on a dirty little secret which, if reprinted, I fear will lead to my untimely death - he's always believed the public perceives him as a flippant, disorganized, slapstick young man, never up to anything serious, and via his imminent SC victory, he wants to prove to the world he can serve as a leader in something serious, something that will change courses and lives.

Queried on his past, he admits he was president of the Basketball Club, where event organization became his unintentional pastime. He was indignant at my suggestion that he didn't know what he was getting himself into, saying his experience would put him in good stead to be a more flexible and creative individual in running college events, which in essence, are not much different from school events.

As one of us was sleepy and the other was itching to play the guitar, we called it quits, with a good dose of back-slapping (metaphorically, of course) and best wishes before I was ejected from his room at 1.25 am.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home